2015-2016 Health for America Fellowship
Type 2 diabetes is a progressive metabolic condition that occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin or does not use insulin effectively. It affects 29 million Americans and has resulted in $245 billion in costs to the economy.
The fellows and their partners co-created WellRooted, a diet management and nutrition literacy tool that enabled people living with type 2 diabetes to order diabetes-friendly meals straight to their doorsteps. The online platform offered two menus: Cook-at-Home (recipes + ingredient delivery) and Ready-to-Eat (deliveries of fully-prepared meals). In an effort to connect clinics to kitchens, the WellRooted website and recipe cards also provided bite-sized, actionable nutrition education.
In May 2017, MedStar Health announced that WellRooted was being refined and transformed into MedStar Healthy. Designed to support the overall wellness of patients and the broader MedStar community, medstarhealthy.org provides easy connections to fully-prepared meals and recipes that meet MedStar nutritional recommendations, as well as links to wellness classes throughout the system. The launch of the program also marks a strengthened partnership with Territory, a locally-launched prepared meal service. MedStar Healthy is among one of Territory's first recently unveiled nutritionally-focused menu filters, making it easier for the MedStar network and general consumers to order meals deemed "MedStar Healthy."
- Attending Cleveland Clinic Innovation Summit, Diabetes Tech Society Meeting, mHealth Summit, MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2) Innovations Forum, South by Southwest Interactive, Startup Grind Conference, World Diabetes Congress, and more
- Partaking in Global Startup Weekend
- Conducting a two-week diabetes simulation to understand some of the pain points of managing a chronic disease
- Interviewing and shadowing a range of stakeholders in the diabetes landscape—patients, caregivers, clinicians, administrators, researchers, policy makers, entrepreneurs, executives, and others
- Presenting WellRooted at the MI2 Monthly All Minds Meeting and Making Health Event, for an Innovation Learning Network Virtual Thursday webinar, and in many clinical settings