We are hiring!
The MedStar Institute for Innovation, MedStar SiTEL and The National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare are currently hiring for several positions.
Senior Research Scientist (Full Time)
The National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare is recruiting a Senior Research Scientist to join our growing team. We are seeking an exceptional principal investigator level researcher, with a PhD (or equivalent) in human factors engineering (or a closely related field such as Industrial & Systems Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, or Safety Engineering). The National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare is a group of human factors engineers, cognitive psychologists, usability specialists, and clinical experts embedded within the innovation arm of MedStar Health, a $5B healthcare delivery organization with 30,000 employees, 20 diversified healthcare companies and 10 hospitals in the Washington DC & Baltimore region.
The ideal candidate is a recognized expert in their area of focus. We encourage all to apply and are particularly interested in focus areas such as teamwork, leadership, performance measurement, and decision making. The candidate should have experience writing proposals to attract external funding, executing grant funded work, and disseminating research results through journal publications and presentations.
The Senior Research Scientist will be responsible for:
- Establishing a core area of research that is relevant to improving the safety, quality and efficiency of healthcare
- Leading small and large scale research studies from start to finish with assistance from Center research staff
- Disseminating findings at national conferences and through journal publications
- Implementing safety innovations in the applied setting through collaboration, both within and outside MedStar
- Serving as an internal expert in their respective research area to advise MedStar Health staff
- Providing instructional lectures in their area of expertise to medical students, graduate students, nurses, physicians, and healthcare leaders
While this position is geared towards mid to senior career candidates, exceptional junior candidates will be considered. Prior healthcare experience is not required; this position is open to candidates from different domains (e.g. aviation, defense etc) who are passionate about applying human factors and system safety methods to healthcare. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
This position reports directly to the Director of the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare and will work closely with the Scientific Director. Qualified candidates will be eligible for academic appointment at the Georgetown University School of Medicine. For consideration, please send your CV to [email protected], or email us to learn more or to refer a candidate.
Senior Usability Specialist (Full Time)
The Usability Services team in the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare is seeking a talented, energetic, personable, and passionate candidate with significant experience in device usability for a Senior Usability Specialist role.
A Masters degree or PhD is required in human factors engineering, human/computer interaction, human factors psychology, or a very closely related field such as applied psychology or industrial and systems engineering. Degrees in related fields such as biomedical engineering will be considered with significant experience in human factors or usability work. The ideal candidate will have at least two years’ experience post advanced degree. Direct experience in usability testing and evaluation of medical devices, knowledge of FDA requirements is strongly preferred.
The Senior Usability Specialist will be responsible for:
- designing and leading the execution of formative and summative usability studies
- developing study protocols, test preparation, and participant recruitment
- quantitative and qualitative data collection, data analysis, interpretation of results
- preparation of technical reports
This position reports directly to the Director, Usability Services, of the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare. For consideration, please send your CV to [email protected] and clearly identify Senior Usability Specialist as the position for which you are applying. Please email us to learn more or to refer a candidate.
Research Assistant/Research Analyst (Experienced, Full Time)
The National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare has a position open for a full time research assistant/analyst: research experience and background or knowledge in human factors, safety engineering, or related field are desirable but not required. The Center's mission is to apply human factors engineering principles and methods to healthcare with a focus on improving safety, efficiency, and reliability in the healthcare/medical field.
The Research Assistant/Analyst will work closely with Center faculty members and will be responsible for:
- Recruiting study participants and supporting execution of studies
- Collecting research data and supporting data analysis
- Assisting with report writing and dissemination
- Maintaining and updating databases
- Performing literature reviews
- Assisting with grant preparation
- Performing other research support activity such as transcription of audio recordings or coding of data
- Supporting the creation and submission of institutional review board documents
Research scope includes a wide range of human factors methods, including observation in clinical environments, eye tracking studies, data coding, and usability evaluation. We seek individuals who are self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision, yet enjoy working as part of a close team. If you are interested in working with a team of researchers at the forefront of medical human factors, please email us at [email protected]. More information about the center is available here.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or a recently completed Masters in Human Factors Engineering, Applied Psychology, Biomedical Engineering or a related field.
Experience: Approximately one to two years of experience in human factors research is preferred. Healthcare experience preferred. Must have familiarity (or be able to quickly gain familiarity) with medical terminology and expertise in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and internet research skills.
Project Manager (Full Time)
The National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare has a position open for a full time project manager. The Center's mission is to apply human factors engineering principles and methods to healthcare with a focus on improving safety, efficiency, and reliability in the healthcare/medical field. The project manager will function as the operational lead and provide operational support for several sponsored NCHFH projects and/or programs.
The Project Manager will work closely with Center faculty members and will be responsible for:
- Coordinating the day-to-day project implementation and document processing for research studies, including but not limited to, participant screening & recruitment, informed consent process, milestone tracking, and reporting
- Monitoring and generating reports as directed by the principal investigator and required by the sponsor
- Developing, monitoring, and managing study protocol/task order compliance
- Supervise research staff as applicable
- Managing and participating in conferences, departmental meetings, continuing education, investigator meetings, and hospital site initiation, interim monitoring and study close-out as assigned
- Collaborating with internal and external organizations to ensure timely collection, submission, and delivery of study related data
- Conducting associate training as defined by research protocols
- Assisting the principal investigator with development of study manuscripts, abstracts, and scientific reports as needed
- Preparing and analyzing regular reports of research activity, including monthly billing forms, IRB continuations and closures, and patient enrollment logs
- Providing leadership with reports of project and/or program activities as necessary
- Works with the Office of Contracts and Grants Management to ensure timely execution of subcontracts and amendments
- Managing the process for ensuring compliance with deadlines and deliverables for Human Factors Center contracts and grants
- Consistently demonstrating support for compliance in the performance of job duties and responsibilities by a) developing and maintaining knowledge of, and performing job functions in compliance with, rules, regulations, policies, and statutes that affect his/her job; b) maintaining knowledge of an performing job functions in compliance with MedStar Health and MedStar Health Research Institute policies and procedures; and c) reporting compliance concerns in appropriate and timely manner
We seek individuals who are self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision, yet enjoy working as part of a close team. If you are interested in working with a team of researchers at the forefront of medical human factors, please email us at [email protected]. More information about the center is available here.
Education: Master’s degree in human factors, psychology, science, healthcare, administration, or equivalent field is required.
Experience: Approximately one to two years of experience in research is preferred. Healthcare experience not required. Must have familiarity (or be able to quickly gain familiarity) with IRB and expertise in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and internet research skills.
MedStar Simulation Training & Education Lab is looking for talented and driven instructional designers to join our team. The instructional designer is a critical leader in our movement to catalyze and support learning that advances health. The instructional designer will be responsible for designing and developing online and blended learning solutions for a diverse population of learners. The individual will work closely with a team of other instructional designers, subject matter experts, artists, videographers, digital media specialists, clinical educators, and project managers to create innovative, engaging, and interactive education.
Ideal candidates will be self-motivated and driven individuals who have a proven track record of taking initiative and working collaboratively to accomplish organization-wide goals. They will also have a deep understanding of the principles of instructional design and adult learning theory, experience with eLearning authoring tools, and a strong background in education. Candidates must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and awesome at what they do. Clinical experience is not required. For consideration, please send your resume/CV to [email protected]. A cover letter is optional.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Instructional Design, Educational Technology, or related field. Masters degree preferred. Working knowledge of instructional design, curriculum design, course development, and technology associated with creating online and blended learning solutions.
- 2 years teaching, curriculum development, instructional design, blended learning and technical writing. Experience in creating virtual and/or clinical simulations preferred.
MedStar Simulation Training Education Lab (SiTEL) is looking for an educator (SiTEL Educator II) with clinical expertise to join our team. MedStar SiTEL clinical educators collaborate with MedStar Health clinical experts, simulations specialists, project managers, and instructional designers to create innovative, engaging and interactive learning solutions focusing on quality, safety, and service excellence in the healthcare setting. These programs and courses include simulations, online modules, and in-person events.
Ideal candidates must have clinical expertise, understanding of education principles surrounding adult learning theory, and experience with educational program development.
- Education: Associates degree in healthcare related field plus more than 10 years of relevant job experience or Bachelor’s degree in healthcare related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Expertise: 5 years experience that includes developing and implementing clinical training and education.
For further consideration for the clinical educator position please send a letter of interest, resume/CV and salary requirements to [email protected]
Senior Simulation Specialist
MedStar Simulation Training and Education Lab (SiTEL) is looking for a Senior Simulation Specialist to manage daily operations in one of its busy Clinical Simulation Centers in the Washington, DC area. The position will serve as the simulation subject matter expert to faculty and simulation specialist. The Senior Simulation Specialist will maintain oversight of clinical programs including nursing residency, graduate medical education, and system-wide simulations focused on improving patient safety and quality of care. The ideal candidate will have previous simulation experience in healthcare, clinical experience (RN, LPN, Paramedic, EMT), and technical expertise.
MedStar SiTEL serves as the system-wide learning and education organization for MedStar Health, a $5-billion-health system, which includes 10 hospitals, 20 affiliated healthcare businesses and 40 centers of excellence in the Washington, D.C., and Maryland regions. MedStar Health is academically affiliated with Georgetown University and is the graduate medical education (GME) partner for the Georgetown University School of Medicine. MedStar SiTEL provides learning solutions focused on quality, safety and service excellence, while partnering with our associates to improve outcomes. MedStar SiTEL manages four freestanding clinical simulation centers and one mobile simulation lab throughout the Maryland and DC area.
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Works with clinical education services team members to create and deliver simulation training, and measure outcomes based on best practices
- Provides expert level technical and operational oversight for the Clinical Simulation Center
- Oversees the orientation process for new simulation specialist and faculty
- Makes recommendations and assists in the preparation and monitoring of budgets
- Maintains accountability for over $1M in simulation equipment, oversee inventory, compiles usage reports , and sets par levels dependent on center usage
- Assist in the supervision of simulation specialist, and provides mentorship to junior simulation specialist.
- Provides feedback to the Operations Manager on the performance of simulation specialist and is directly involved performance management
Description of the Environment
About the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare
Located in Washington, DC, the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare brings together human factors engineers, psychologists, industrial systems engineers, health services researchers, and clinicians to conduct basic safety science and applied research to improve healthcare safety, efficiency, and reliability. A part of the MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2) and the MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI), the Center’s home and “research lab” is MedStar Health, academically affiliated with Georgetown University School of Medicine, and includes 10 hospitals and more than 20 health-related companies in more than 120 locations. As an academic and applied research center, the Center’s existence within MedStar Health provides unusual access to frontline, end-user subject groups in both simulated and actual healthcare operational environments. Topic areas are broad, ranging from usability to cognitive systems engineering, teamwork and communication, human-computer interaction, system safety engineering, and sociotechnical systems approaches. The center is supported by consulting contracts, research grants, and by MedStar Health’s commitment to safety. More information about the center is available here.
MedStar Simulation Training & Education Lab (MedStar SiTEL) is the education and training technology group of MedStar Health. MedStar SiTEL is made up of 85 talented individuals working in five primary areas, including clinical simulation, digital media services (virtual simulation and video production), instructional design, software development, and clinical education. MedStar SiTEL maintains its custom developed learning management system (which serves all of MedStar Health as well as outside clients), and operates 5 simulation facilities, including 6500 SF newly renovated center in Washington DC, and a 5500 SF center in Baltimore, MD. More information is available here.
About the MedStar Institute for Innovation
MedStar SiTEL and the National Center for Human Factors in Healthcare are both part of the MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2), whose mission is to catalyze and create innovation that advances health. The mantra of MI2 is “Think Differently.” The founding premise is that the pursuit of the remarkable will always be trumped by the tyranny of the daily, unless there exists a countervailing energy for seeing and doing further. The MedStar Institute for Innovation focuses on learning, simulation training, information infrastructure, human factors engineering, the built environment, technology commercialization and inventor services, and processes and systems of care delivery.
MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI)
MedStar Health Research Institute (MHRI) provides a robust research support infrastructure to MedStar Health, including a centralized IRB (covering all hospitals), grants management, biostatisticians, proposal support, and other research support services. MHRI is in the top 20% in total funding received from the National Institutes of Health of all U.S. institutions, with over $35M in sponsored research per year. MedStar Health is part of the NIH-sponsored Georgetown-Howard Universities Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CTSA) research collaborative. Learn more at www.MedStarResearch.org .
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is the largest integrated health system in the mid-Atlantic region with 10 hospitals and 250 non-acute care facilities in the DC and Maryland region. MedStar Health represents a microcosm of the American healthcare system, representing the broadest possible spectrum of hospitals and patient populations. MedStar has one of the largest graduate medical education programs in the country training over 1,100 medical residents annually. The ten hospitals include large tertiary care/academic medical center hospitals, small community hospitals, and a university hospital (MedStar Georgetown University Hospital); inner city, suburban, and rural hospitals; teaching hospitals and hospitals staffed only by private attending physicians; and large, medium, and small-sized hospitals. MedStar Health has 30,000 associates, 3,500 licensed beds, 6,000 affiliated physicians, 175,000 annual inpatient admissions, and 1.6 million annual outpatient visits. MedStar Health’s six teaching hospitals have a total of 1100 resident physicians, one of the ten largest graduate medical education organizations in the US. Visit www.MedStarHealth.org.